View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Sande, I'd be afraid of a spinal tap, too. I was offered one a few weeks ago when it was looking like I had herpes zoster encephalitis, but I said NO! I was already on the drug for shingles which would treat the underlying cause of the encephalitis, too, so a test would've been redundant.

Sometimes doctors suggest those tests either to scare a patient they don't think is sick or because thinking is too hard. If you don't want the test, then don't have it. There are ways of diagnosing conditions that involve the least amount of invasive tests possible. Sometimes they're necessary, but is it necessary yet?

I repeated a bit of what I put in Elle's other post, but worth repeating I think.

Have you had other tests to rule out your exhaustion? Were your antibodies positive? Do you like your neurologist?

I still don't know how they can confuse MS and MG. Really. They are two different animals. With MG, you can feel as though a muscle are is "numb" because weak muscles are on the spectrum from to okay to paralysis. No, you won't have paralysis if you have MG! I said it to make a point. And that is why when patients say a muscle feels numb that a doctor might think of MS.

How long have you had symptoms and how long have you been taking Mestinon? If your MG was bad by the time you started drugs, you may take a while to recover. Take it very easy right now, okay? Mestinon does help, but you still have to use common sense and rest to help MG be okay.

Did your doctor go over all of the treatment options?

I hope the next appt. goes well, too!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote