View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you have personal experience with either Dr. Kieburtz or Dr. Richard? Their credentials on the website look great, but if I can find out any personal recommendations or experiences that would help me in my decision as well. I have someone on another PD forum who recommends Dr. Ray Dorsey who just came back to the University of Rochester after spending a few years as the director of Movement Disorder Division at Johns Hopkins. He is now heading a program there using telemedicine to treat PD patients who don't have access to MDS care but I guess he also sees patients in person because she is being seen by him and says he is very personable.

I'm trying to do a lot of research, and make the right choice of a good MDS for my husband. He's not used to going to doctors, in fact until now he didn't even have a PCP(and he's 50) hadn't seen a doc since he was a kid except for minor injuries in ER and such. After noticing his symptoms for 6 months to a year I finally convinced him that we needed to see a doc. We got him a PCP and after a few months were able to see a Neurologist (there is a shortage of Neuros here and it always takes months to get in to one). Well he diagnosed him at the first visit, prescribed Azilect, but sent him for a bunch of tests to rule other things out. All tests came back normal except an abnormal DAT scan. Since my husband is only 50, and he will be living with this for a long time, I'd like him to see an expert in PD. He's not too sure he wants to switch. This first Neurologist was nice but after I questioned him, he admitted he hadn't treated too many PD patients as young as my husband(50). When I asked him about seeing and MDS, he quickly told me if we did that then we wouldn't need to see him anymore because he didn't agree with having 2 docs working with one patient. Well that put up a red flag for me and I want my husband to see an MDS. My husband really doesn't want to go through the whole doc thing all over again, he's in the very early stages and feels like this doc will be good enough and he thinks he can wait until he gets really bad to see an expert. But he's willing to go along with what I think -- I have a chronic illness of my own, I 'm in school to be a nurse, and I am just more read up on science and medicine because it interests me, so he kind of looks to me to lead the way on these sorts of things. But I know he won't go along with a bunch of Dr. hopping and I don't want to do that either. And if I drag him an hour and a half away to see a doc I feel is an expert but he/she has an awful bedside manner, I know that won't go over well either. With PD it will be necessary to have a long term relationship with a Neuro and I want to make sure to make the right choice the first time.

So after listening to me run on -- do you have any further insights? Any personal experiences, or experiences you've heard from others on any of these 3 docs.

Thank you so much for your time, I appreciate your help so much!!
Forgetmenot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote