View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default denial/acceptance of TBI

Hi Jamie,
My son sustained TBI following a motorcycle accident in Sept 2013, so its now 8 months ago. He never made a sound for 6 months, and then started trying to speak. He can say a few words, but his speech is inaudible most of the time. He communicates with his ipad by typing if we cannot make out the words. He is in a wheelchair as the right side of his body is not operating the same as the left. He can move his left side perfectly, but the right side is stiff and moves with difficulty. He is at home and receives physio, occupational and speech therapy. My problem is that even though he cannot get up and walk, and also obviously cannot speak properly, he keeps on saying that he can.. He has very bad short term memory and asks the same thing over and over again. He constantly calls me to ask the same question (he is 21). He forgets what happened a few minutes ago, the previous day etc. He cannot remember his accident at all. He can remember before that, but thereafter is non existent. He wants to go back to work, and the more I tell him he cant as he cannot walk, talk or drive, the more he gets angry and says that he can. I tell him that he needs to recover, and he says he has, that there is nothing wrong with him. He gets angry and frustrated very quickly, and then shouts, swears and shows the middle finger. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same with their loved one, and has some advice on what to do, what to expect please. How do I get him to believe/accept that he is disabled at the moment and has to undergpo therapy to recover? I am stumped, and so sad for him!!
sharoneld is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote