View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Help

Quote:
Some doctors begin with lower dosing, having every other day being zero so that the adrenals can keep working.
The above is what I said. Where in that sentence does it say that I recommend doing that?!!! I'm not a doctor, I can't and won't recommend anything when it comes to your care! I might bring up ideas or thoughts, but that is not the same thing.

SOME doctors BEGIN . . . meaning that when they begin treatment with Pred.

Once you have been on daily Pred for a long time, your adrenals are already not "working" because Pred is doing their job for them.

So, at that point, going every other day to zero can be dangerous.

If you drop to zero, you can have an adrenal crisis. Some symptoms are extreme fatigue, sweating, feeling dizzy or disoriented, much weaker, etc. It can absolutely kill you.

You can also have a myasthenic crisis.

Prednisone is a powerful drug. That's one reason why I often caution people to really think it through before taking it. And tell people to read the prescribing information.

TALK TO YOUR PRESCRIBING DOCTOR before you make any changes in that drug—or other drugs.

Caution: Some doctors don't "get" what can happen if they drop a dose amount too quickly. One of my dear friends went into an adrenal crisis when they did that. Luckily, she was okay. It can happen with just one day's dose being dropped, either lower or to zero.

Needananswer, Talk to your doctor. You might be able to adjunct therapies while on steroids to help wean you off of it. I am NOT recommending this (because I'm not a doctor and wouldn't even if I were), but inhaled steroids are an off label use for weaning.

Geez, guys, I know Pred is beyond frustrating to be on, but don't put yourself in danger while going off of it!

Annie

Last edited by AnnieB3; 05-19-2014 at 07:00 PM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote