View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 11:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Diandra! I understand exactly what you mean about feeling guilty about not being able to do the same things as before your health issues. Prior to my sub-arachnoid hemorrhage and stroke, I was an EMT and was able to multi-task on many different levels. Things are extremely difficult for me now because of chronic pain in my neck, back and right knee. In addition, I suffer from neuropathy on the left side of my body secondary to the brain injury and stroke.

It takes me four hours to clean my kitchen to a satisfactory level, after which, I need at least a two hour nap and heating pad, in addition to my various pain medications. It's frustrating at times, but I still try looking at the positive. I'm here; I've been seizure free since September of last year.

I still struggle with depression and with people who don't understand that I am not the same person I was before my health issues, and will never be the same person. My neuro-psychologist tells me that a lot of people cannot understand what people with chronic pain go through because they can't see it. They look at us and say "Well you look OK to me." or "Stop using your stroke as an excuse. I'm sure your brain is healed by now."

I don't apologize to anyone for not being able to handle everything anymore. There are those who care enough about me to research and understand the ins and outs of my conditions and what my healing process will entail, and there are those that don't. I do the best I can with what I have, and that's all I can do. Please don't beat yourself up for doing the best you can. Hugs to you. Eva
MsEva_EMS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-19-2014), PamelaJune (05-20-2014)