View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Amen, Tricia. I hope you're doing well today. You're an inspiration to everyone here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrik View Post
Everyone goes through times when they feel defeated. But, we all get back up and push forward. If you read what some of the people on this board and/or even this thread, you will see that each of us have been through some trying experiences. There are some on here that are so inspirational to me as they have been through not only dealing with MS but other medical crisis and illnesses/diseases. If you pay attention, you will see that each one has gotten up to try again. When you feel defeated, think of these people and how they have moved beyond the illness to have an normal life, or as normal as they can. For many of us, defeat and waving the flag was not an option.

Five short months ago, I was fighting for my life. If I had a defeatist attitude, I would not have survived. Well, a good surgeon and medical team had a lot to do with it too. But, it was my attitude that helped pull me through and much to my drs. surprise, I pulled through far quicker and better than they anticipated. Again, it was attitude that got me through it all. What also helped is the heros I have met on this site as well as heros that are around me. These heros are fighters. Yes, the fight is hard sometimes and you may want to crawl back under your covers in the morning and give in, but that is not an option.

Count your blessings too and be thankful for what you do have. You have far more than many of us both in material things and support. You are able to go out to eat (something I certainly can't afford to do and I know others on here can't do), you have a roof over your head and your own room. You have been able to remodel your room more than once. You have family right there to help you if you need it or you helping them when they need it. You can visit your parents whenever you feel like it as they are just upstairs. For many of us, one or both of our parents are no longer here and we don't get that opportunity. Cherish that!

Try turning your thought patterns around. It's so easy to get sucked in to negative thinking but it is also easy to turn the thoughts around in to positive ones. Once you start turning those thoughts around, your coping mechanisms will change as well. You'll be able to cope with the symptoms you are experiencing with a positive attitude. Life will become brighter and happier.

Also, I don't remember if you are on an AD. It may be something that you might consider. Some sort of counseling or therapy might help as well. You may learn some techniques that will help you in the long run.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (05-20-2014), SallyC (05-20-2014), tkrik (05-20-2014)