View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

nyuszisie,

Typically a round black radiographic area above a root canaled tooth indicates that the bacteria has proliferated beyond the tooth into the bone. The dark area is usually a cyst that has formed at the apex (root) of the tooth. This is not an unusual occurrence at all. So I really don't know why he would have told you that. I truly have no idea what he is talking about when he says an air bubble. You could have a sinus communication between the tooth and the sinus in which the bacteria has proliferated beyond the tooth into the sinus. That would also show as a black area above the tooth. But an air bubble??? I really don't know anything about that.

The fact that he can feel this "bump" in your mouth makes me lean towards the cyst possibility.

Based on extensive information that I have provided here on this site and that you could find if you were to search a little bit for it..... there is no denying that this root canaled tooth is not healthy. Bacteria has been residing in this tooth for many, many years and unfortunately it will travel beyond the tooth. I cannot tell you why your dentist told you he has never seen this before... perhaps you misunderstood him or he misspoke? I really don't know.

I wish I could offer you something more than I already have. But there really is no mystery here and I wish you could find the help that you need.

QUOTE=nyuszisue;1070590]Yes, the dr. is an oral surgeon. He said in 27 years he did see something like this air bubble as he called it, only a couple of times. It's the upper jaw, above tooth #5, root canaled 20+ years ago. But he said he doesn't see anything to worry about, no infection. He said it can be felt in my mouth, where the gums and cheek meet as a little "bump". My sinuses and everything else looked ok.[/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote