View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canna View Post
Is anyone still taking Macuna Pruriens? How's it going? Currently on Amantadine and Azilect. I'm considering skipping the dopamine agonists and go directly to Sinemet because I have some mild compulsions anyway and Mirapex wrecked havoc among my YOPD group. I talked this over with my MDS and I am going to try MP before starting Sinemet. Anybody tried this route? The posts I have read so far are all by people taking MP in addition to levodopa. Input appreciated!
i think your're making too much of a big deal out of taking sinemet vs mucana.
my advice?
try sinemet, it isn't going to kill you and you can establish what the optimal benefit you can get, you owe that to yourself and anyone who depends on you. then if you want to try mucana, gradually reduce the sinemet and increase the mucana. the advantage of sinemet is you know what you are getting and the pills are relatively small. with mucana you are getting a ground up legume seed from who knows where and not knowing under what conditions it is grown from crop to crop.
sinemet ain't complicated, it's an amino acid, l-dopa, plus carbidopa, which inhibits an enzyme from converting l-dopa to dopamine in the peripheral tissues. dopamine does you no good since it cannot pass the blood brain barrier to get into the brain.

when someone says they are taking mucana and not sinemet, you also need to ask if they ever tried sinemet.

if your're working that's a factor because you might have to take grams of mucana which can be difficult when at work or traveling plus i imagine it has a few calories in it.
your're in a YOPD group, isn't anyone successfully taking sinemet?

keep in mind that the observation that something like 60% (40%?) of people taking sinemet eventually get dyskinesia is probably over exaggerated. a lot of people have mild or occasional dyskinesias and aren't really bothered, and eventually everyone takes sinemet. i chose sinemet over mirapex because i did better and 6 years ago when i started taking it i assumed there would be a "cure" by now. now the chances of a "cure" are better than ever so why worry about sinemet? it's been proven not to damage neurons, get the best relief you can. if you are into exercising and sinemet lets you exercise better, then that is an important consideration.

my sinemet honeymoon lasted about 5 years. i could get by on less than 500mg, not have to take it on a exact schedule and i didn't freeze when it wore off. there's going to be a lot of new/better treatments hopefully by 5 years.

nobody is going to rave about sinemet on this board, it would seem silly.
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RLSmi (05-22-2014)