View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 05:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Convergence insufficiency- finally getting prism lenses

Ever since I was around 11 years old, first year of secondary school, I've had problems with reading, writing, copying from the blackboard, poor reading comprehension, sports and balance/ co-ordination. Because I did so well in primary school where I was a straight A student, the teachers conclusion was I 'wasn't trying/ not concentrating/ being lazy'. I had no idea what was going on and why I wasn't able to do the things I used to be good at. My grades dropped dramatically and I failed everything and left with very poor qualifications. I went on to having big problems with employment and constantly being pulled up for 'not concentrating' and making mistakes. One of my bosses asked a workmate if she thought I was 'slow' which hurt like hell as I have been very aware of my problems.

I have permanent double vision/ blurred vision, headaches, pulling feelings in my eyes, dry eyes, feel nauseous when I read too much, can't remember what I've just read.

I also had very bad handwriting, but my handwriting was fine in primary school. The letters were all different sizes, I couldn't stay on the line and it was like my hand and brain weren't co-ordinating. I'd be sent home constantly to practice my handwriting as it was illegible.

Now, I'm 31 and yesterday I was diagnosed with 'convergence insufficiency'. The optician said as I've been this way for 20 years it's unlikely I will get depth perception, and I've got extropia because my vision problem wasn't treated early on. He told me not to get my hopes up as it may only help a little bit, but I'm still extremely excited to get my glasses!

6 years ago I had crazy vertigo, motion sickness, dizziness and just generally felt terrible. I though I had an ear problem, but when I had a VNG test the doctor asked me if I realised I was having 'eye tracking' problems and that I had 'abnormal saccades'. I did mention that I've had problems with reading since 11ish, but the referral to a neurologist got lost and I didn't realise the significance of this at the time. I was also more preoccupied with my mental health issues.

The optician asked me if I'd ever had a virus or head injury, and the only thing I've had is Scarlet fever, and I also hit my head- fell out of a tree onto my back from 6ft.

I also have terrible memory problems and this affected my school work. My sister has always said that I 'just changed' at one point. I went from a very good student to failing everything. My behaviour became very out of character- poor impulse control, extreme emotions, bad social skills. I was a very active and 'self-starter' type child, to having no motivation at all. I was a very bright and clever child, and I couldn't even think straight, retain information or put my thoughts together.

One of my mothers friends noticed I was having problems communicating, which is something I'd never had before. I was always very articulate and my social skills were quite good, but I found it hard to follow conversations (which I now realise was probably a visual problem as I wasn't able to follow facial cues) and to get my words out properly.

I also developed things like being unable to tolerate noise and too much stimulation. I was constantly tired and overwhelmed and hated being around too many people and began to avoid school. Whereas before I loved being social and having parties and such.

I'm waiting to see a neurologist to find out what's happened. I'm just gutted that it's taken this long for me to get help and I'm wondering if there are things I can do for myself at home? Any tips?

I also found giving up gluten was a huge help, and I believe it was compounding my issues. I found the 'brain fog' eased up a bit and my memory improved slightly.
lilypad1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote