View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default New to PN - Seeking Advice

Hello everyone,

I am a 30 year old male who works in online learning in an higher education institution.

My symptoms began in the right two fingers of my right hand. I do significant computer work, so the pain/numbness in those fingers would exasperate with use, but would subside with rest.

Over the period of 3-4 months, my fingers would get progressively worse and the pain/numbness would not easily subside with rest. At this point, I went to see a hand surgeon suspecting cubital tunnel. I had a nerve conduction study which came back normal. At this point I was referred to a neurologist.

It took me 6 weeks to get into the neurologist and during this time I began manifesting new symptoms including weakness in the right hand, numbness and pain in the right two toes of the right foot. Anxiety also began to play a role in amplifying my symptoms, at times causing numbness/tingling in the face. I also began dealing with electrical shock feelings in the right side of my body, usually the right leg.

The neurologist sent me in for an MRI on the brain and spine without contrast. Both came back negative (I did have a slight bulging disc in C5/C6, but nothing anyone seemed alarmed about). I also had my thyroid and B12 levels checked, both came back within normal ranges, though my B12 was at the bottom of the normal ranges.

Overall, I had been coping fairly well over the past few weeks, however new symptoms have manifested themselves. For the past 5 days, I have had significant pain in my right thigh and calf. The pain originally began in the right calf, but then worked its way up into my hamstrings. This pain and tightness has flared up several times, at least twice severely. I do not show any symptoms of blood clotting. I have also discerned a tenderness at the top of my leg near my groin, near the bone, which is far more tender than the left side.

After reporting my new symptoms, I saw the FNP who works under the Neurologist. The didn't seem to have much plan of action. I was told to start a multivitamin with B12, given some COQ-10, and they had me run a CK something blood test. They also permitted me to up my gaba dose. Then, they told me to come back in a month.

I walked away somewhat frustrated that the mindset had shifted more from diagnosis to management, which I know is also important.

I'm hoping to get some advise on how to proceed. I'm still dealing with numbness/pain in my right hand and foot, as well as that tightness pain feeling in my calf.

How aggressive should I be pursuing a "diagnosis" if one exists?
How much am I risking in the mean time by not having a diagnosis?
How important is physical therapy to helping with leg pain?
Should I seek a second opinion or find someone who will be more aggressive in ruling our possibilities?

I'm so new to all of this. I'm trying to be patient and yet proactive, learning all that I can.

-Doug
takemyall7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (05-21-2014)