View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 09:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Oh, my. Something in the 200's is really low. The ranges have not been updated in US yet...to the new low of 400pg/ml.

If PA runs in your family, this could really be a serious factor for you. Do the 5mg methyl version daily on an empty stomach. Not all is absorbed by far, but enough will be without intrinsic factor if you take it correctly. There is no way enough for you in any multivitamin product. If you have PA you won't have intrinsic factor to help with absorption from food.

Do you take acid blocking drugs for heartburn regularly? These also decrease B12 absorption.

It is important to get the methyl version (and NOT the cyano version)...this is the active form the body uses.

A good CoQ-10 is Qunol brand...it has been especially solubilized for better absorption. It is at Costco and WalMart at an affordable price. 100mg a day is all you need basically if you use this brand. The older forms of CoQ-10 in oil gel caps are not as well absorbed and you'd have to start at 300mg a day if you choose those.
Thanks again for your advice. I've started a separate B12 supplement as of today. I'll look into the CoQ-10 stuff. I'm not used to handing over so much $$ for stuff like this. :P

As far as B12 absorption is concerned, I don't take anything that would necessarily reduce it. I am lactose intolerant (though less in recent years), which can be a factor. I've been pretty clean otherwise from any meds or supplements for most of my adult life.
takemyall7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote