View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadoc View Post
I had to answer your question over 2 blogs due to time pressures. Just a few comments on the other issues. I don't believe having a NATURALLY low cholesterol is of relevance regarding your potential for neurological healing. In other ways, this may well prove to be a significant advantage with regards to reducing your lifetime risk of manifesting symptoms of dementia later in life. I would trade cholesterol profiles with you in a flash!

Vitamin B12 is very important to maintain a healthy neurological system. Those who are deficient benefit from supplementation. Few would argue this point. There are differences in opinion as to what constitutes the ideal blood level. Your laboratory report would have the acceptable reference range. Does correcting a state of B12 deficiency accelerate healing after an mTBI or in an individual with PCS? Who knows! I have not been able to find any convincing evidence to that effect. It does make sense however to correct a deficient B12 state in order to avoid the other well documented neurological and hematological problems associated with low blood levels. I have equally not come across any evidence to suggest that supplementing a B12 SUFFICIENT individual provides healing benefits. Again, I would invite anyone with evidence to the contrary to share their insights and knowledge.

Just a final note on your low vitamin D levels. If you live in an area of the USA where sunshine hours were at a premium over the past 5 months or if you spend most of your waking hours indoors (or both), your vitamin D levels would have naturally fallen (unless you were taken supplements). You may wish to discuss with your doctor about remeasuring your levels during the summer. You might also want to inform yourself about supplementing with vitamin D during the colder months of the year as a rule.

Hope this info has helped. I wish to remind you that the above information is my own opinion and, ultimately, you should review any medical decisions with your personal physician. Cheers. Canadoc
Hi Canadoc,

I just thought I would let you know that you are not alone and I experience symptoms almost exactly the same as you.

If I raise my blood pressure (especially by lifting weights) this causes an increase in intra-cranial pressure which results in an immediate 'pressure' feeling in my head followed by cognitive decline for approximately 24 hours. Even something as simple as a bowel movement quickly brings on symptoms. I do not experience a 'head ache' though.

I have experienced this problem for 3 years now and with no improvement unfortunately. However, like you, if I take a course of steroidal anti-inflammatories my symptoms are completely eliminated and I return to 'normal'.

Considering the success of steroidal anti-inflammatories, what do you think this means?

My hypothesis is a permanent hypersensitivity of the brain (perhaps the meninges as you suggested) to increased ICP followed by immediate inflammation that lasts for a short period of time. The inflammation reduces blood flow in the affected area of the brain as well as cellular function. I am not sure if a neck issue is relevant in my case.

I wish I could provide a 'quick fix' answer but I think that recognising the issue is related to hypersensitivity and inflammation is a step in the right direction to some kind of treatment.

Lucky for you, at least you can avoid bringing on symptoms by avoiding raising ICP. Unfortunately for me, even taking a non-strenuous bowel movement causes the symptoms. So I'm just trying to learn how to cope with it as a permanent condition...

I'm always open to advice though.

Halfnelson
Halfnelson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote