View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

There's really no short answer here so here it is.

We sold our house and moved to my moms. We were going to be building and adding an inlaw suit for my mom and while living at her house getting it ready to go on the market. We were going to move to the town I taught in.

Two weeks after we moved in my moms our daughter had a scheduled spinal surgery. She had broken her back they think in gymnastics a few years earlier. Where she broke it was not a painful break but after time the bones wore away and her spine at the L5-S1 were not connected with bone. We were unaware of the break until all her sports brought out the pain.

We we waiting for her to heal enough that she could go to school full time to start building the house but 3 months after her surgery her and I were in the accident.

That put off building. I still had our original plan in my head even though I wasn't working and in bad shape. I couldn't see how I was. Plus our daughter was still healing from major surgery and the accident.

I think I was the last one to get it that our life plans had to change. We could no longer have the same lifestyle on one salary and save for college and retirement. My hubby decided to buy a new townhouse with property management taking care of everything outside. They are putting a pool in now and building a club house. There are lakes and a rough walking path, not paved.

Our past house we built was 1/3 of an acre and 2300 sq ft with large pool. Way too much to do again. This new house is 1450 sq ft. When he gets home he has lots of time for us instead of yard work and repairs.

I've never liked gardening or dirt. I did well at the old house but it was a lot of work. Now we have a small front yard with a bed and a small patch of grass in the back with a patio.

For the first time I think I am going to do a few plants and I want to. I want to keep them alive. I think a pot in the back and I will plant daffodils in the front. I used to have a gorgeous trumpet vine growing on my fence. I never had to do anything to it because the downspout ran to it. The hummingbirds were always there and by the honeysuckle. The peonies were maintenance free and the rest were bushes and maaintence free stuff.

I was the painter and project person. Restructure a room? Sure take this wall down add this or that. I loved changing things to make our home what we wanted. I grew up with a father that taught me all about tools,building, plumbing, all of it. If I'd hadn't done it before I would learn it online and do it. I miss doing those things. I can't cut in trim or around doors n windows with paint anymore. My hands aren't steady like before the accident. I tried to use a grinder months ago and got my thumb good. I was banned from power tools.

Now I come up with the projects and my hubby does them. He already took down a wall between two rooms and many other projects in our new home.

I really lost my focus here. ? Thanks for your patience. Well I think I will try things I didn't do before.

Exhausted in my brain,

Jace

*TBI with mild to severe damage November 2012 from car crash. Stroke with hemorage & 4 clots in veins in brain Feb/Mar 2015.

*Vestibular damage, PCS, hypercusis, severe visual processing and tracking issues, short term memory loss, headaches/migraines, occipital neuralgia, cognitive issues, neurological issues, brain fog, brain fatigue when over stimulated, twitching, vertigo, neck issues, nerve issues, PTSD, personality change, Since stroke left side weakness, rage, worsening of vestibular problems, recall, speech, memory.

*Can't drive or work. Have done occupational therapy, cognitive therapy, physical therapy. Learning work arounds, and strategies to be competent in daily life. Change your attitude/perspective changes your life. As TBI survivors this is a vital part of our healing and living.

*Working on getting to know and accept the new me.
Living_Dazed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote