View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Had Microdiscectomy this morning for L5-S1

I just wanted to share my experience for those having this and ask a couple questions for those who already have. After stabling into my first PT appointment grabbing on to walls, as a healthy 39 year old athletic woman, the PT examined me, went out and called my surgeon and came back to tell me that I really needed to see my surgeon ASAP and then she walked me to my car and said to call her after I see him. I had lost all reflexes in one foot, couldn't pick up my foot and still had excruciating back pain and sciatica. The surgeon took me the next day (yesterday) on said I should have surgery today. I went into surgery at 7 am and left to go home at 11am. I can feel my toes and pick them up again. Turns out the herniation was much bigger than on my MRI. I walked a little outside when I got home, but have had a good amount of pain in my back since then. None in my leg. Yippee!!! I'm on Norco and Celebrex, neither of which really helps the pain yet, but by tomorrow I hope to be a little better. The biggest problem is that I can't sleep. Any suggestions of people that have had this? I fee wide awake and I can't get comfortable, not surprising on Day 1, but I really want to sleep. I am glad I had the surgery and the surgeon said getting this done so quickly probably saved me from permanent damage. I'm walking upright without dragging my leg around, so I have lots to be happy about today, now if only I could get some zzzzzz.
Best to all of you dealing with spine issues and happy healing to those on the mend.
edugirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote