View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 07:16 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod4u View Post
Mark,

Thank you for the message. When I have asked my doctors about my super lower cholesterol, most tend to shrug it off and say that they don't know of any conditions associated with low cholesterol. I think most doctors have this reaction because they hadn't studied it med school for whatever reason (possibly b/c having super low cholesterol is very rare). I see some articles online now suggesting that researchers are finding a link between low cholesterol and brain disorders like dementia and alzheimers. It appears that some cholesterol is necessary to perform critical functions in the brain on a cellular level. I've also seen some indication that low cholesterol may be linked to liver problems, thyroid problems, and mood disorders.

In light of this, I am making a conscious effort to eat a little more bacon for breakfast to get myself closer to the normal range.

I am also getting my blood work done the first week of every month for the rest of the summer to keep an eye on things.

Thanks for your input.
Nimrod
Perhaps a little explanation might clarify some confusion about cholesterol and dementia. First off, dementia is an umbrella term that encompasses several types of diseases that lead to neurocognitive decline. The 2 most common are Alzheimer's dementia and vascular dementia. Although the outcome is quite similar, the mechanism of disease is very different. Whereas Alzheimer's involves the deposition of "amyloid-beta" plaques and tangles in the brain, vascular dementia stems from the blood supply to parts of the brain being choked off by "clogged" or damaged blood vessels. They can also co-exist.

Cholesterol particles exist in several forms in our bodies. Some of these particles promote the deposition of "plaque" inside the blood vessels and "clog" them up (low-density lipoprotein or LDL, very low-dendity lipoprotein or VLDL, etc). Some particles do the exact opposite and are protective (high density lipoprotein or HDL).

Generally, when people refer to their "cholesterol levels", they mostly talk about the "bad" cholesterol. It is this type of cholesterol that is lowered (diet, supplements, medication) in the hopes of slowing down the progression of cognitive decline in those who suffer from vascular dementia.

However, a LOW "good" cholesterol can also have implications regarding an increased risk of premature vascular or blood vessel disease. So doing things to increase your "good" cholesterol, if it is indeed low, makes sense. Regular exercise is one of several ways. Unfortunately, eating more bacon, as you proposed, just won't cut it!

Bottom line, find out which cholesterol particle is LOW. If it's the "bad" kind, then thank your parents for passing on good genes. If it's the "good" kind, then find ways to stay aerobically active among other things.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Canadoc
Canadoc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (05-24-2014)