View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

dbpei,

This recent statement is a bit different than your original one but it is still eluding to the idea that your friend had a problem because she saw a Biological dentist.

<<My friend went to one of the most reputable biological dentists in New England for extraction of a deep molar and it turned out to be a terrible mistake for her. I was just trying to share that information so people can make better decisions for themselves.>>

I need to point out that it is not unusual for a tooth extraction to take an hour or two ... it depends on the individual circumstance. Years ago I had tooth #18 removed by a board certified oral surgeon which took over 2 hours because it was ankylosed, which means the roots were fused with the bone. In cases like mine, it is best to take your time with the extraction and tease the roots out of the bone rather than forcefully remove them. That could have been what your friend had with her tooth as it is not an uncommon condition.

Also, a dry socket can occur with ANY tooth extraction. Yes, it could occur due to something the dentist did or didn't do, absolutely. But most often it occurs for other reasons beyond the dentists control. For example: unhealthy condition of the jaw bone, extensive infection, patient does not comply with post operative instructions, patient smokes or is in poor health, certain medications contributing to dry mouth or those that prohibit the immune system from doing it's job, and the list goes on and on.

I am just making a general statement here with the point being that anyone can have post operative complications after oral surgery in spite of who performs the surgery. To reduce the chances of that from happening... first it is best to seek a referral to someone who performs tooth extractions on a daily basis and let that dentist know that you want the most thorough job possible .... and secondly it is imperative to follow the post op instructions and not slack off with them or your own health afterwards. Do these things guarantee you will be fine 100% of the time, of course not. But they do reduce the possibility. That is all I am trying to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpei View Post
Bryanna,
I did not mean to imply that biological dentists were incompetent! I have been to many of them and even traveled for weeks over 200 miles each way for ozone therapy! I thought that for a root canaled molar, you would need an oral surgeon because of the depth and complexity of pulling a root canaled tooth.

My friend went to one of the most reputable biological dentists in New England for extraction of a deep molar and it turned out to be a terrible mistake for her. I was just trying to share that information so people can make better decisions for themselves.

I have one root canaled tooth left (#30 also) and am scared to have any dentist extract this - biological or traditional. I am in the process of trying to find an oral surgeon willing to extract this tooth even though it does not appear to be infected on x-rays. The very reputable, out of state biological dentist who I have seen says he is able to do the extraction, but thinks an oral surgeon will be best for this.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote