View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 01:48 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default What causes Tourette's?

My name is Michael and I have recently became a new member of this wonderful, endearing community. Like many of you, I have been searching for many answers on the internet and have spent countless hours downloading material and reading books on many different subjects. Some of these subjects include auto-immune conditions, autism spectrum disorders, SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth), leaky gut syndrome, nutrient deficiencies and ways to remediate many if not all symptoms of these conditions. I'm no expert by any means but what I have come across may relate to and even help you as it has myself.

I was diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome when I was 7 years old. I would have many uncontrollable fits and my tic's would interfere with my day-to-day activities. Nonetheless, I tried my best in school and stayed on top of my grades. Luckily, my tourette's didn't effect my ability to learn (although I probably could have done much better without it). I even gave the top kids of my class a run for their money. As the years passed I learned to control my tics (to a certain extent) or at least directed my tics to other muscle groups so that they weren't so noticable.

Knowing what I know now could have definitely helped me out when I first became diagnosed. One thing that led up to my tourette's was many ear infections and most likely a strept throat infection. All these were tall-tale signs of infectious bacterial overgrowth throughout my entire body. This could have been due to the fact that my diet largely consisted of bread, cereal, milk, canned food, fast food, lunch meats, and the occasional meat and potatoes. What does this all mean? The foods I was eating was slowly causing damage to my intestinal tract which promoted leaky gut and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. This led to many infectious bacterial ear infections (which is technically a yeast infection) and more than likely aided in the overly-worked immune system which allowed for a strept infection.

What I have come across would suggest that Tourette's Syndrome (and any other Autism spectrum disorder) is caused by auto-immunity and nutrient defeciency. Auto-Immunity and nutrient defeciency is caused by not only lack of nutritious diet but the over-consumption of grains (breads, cereals and pastas), beans (contains tons of anti-nutrients that lead to the inflammation of the intestinal tract), legumes and any type of processed product on the shelves of our supermarkets of which include wheat, corn, soy and/or rice. This all leads to the potential of too many carbohydrates and fermentable fibers that more than likely promote the overgrowth in the small intestine and lead to more severe symptoms such as food allergies, leaky gut, auto-immunity and nutrient deficiencies.

What does this all mean? It means that, although hereditarily pre-disposed to Tourette's, it more than likely can be prevented and even sent back into full remission. Now, personally, I'm still showing sign of tics but ever since I've become more focused on what I eat and avoiding unhealthy choices I have noticed a steadily decline of my tics throughout the day.

So, in all, what technically causes tourette's? Well, several factors that lead up to the over-sensitivity of dopamine in the brain which could be caused by encephalopathy (auto-immunity of the brain), which technically allows for brain degeneration. When this occurs, the neurotransmitters are unable to communicate correctly thus causing involuntary movements throughout the body. This, of course, is a theory of mine and is up for debate but figured I'd shared it here to see what you guys might think. Also, any and all input is more than welcome as we are all trying to find the answers to our dilemnas. Thanks for reading and Happy Memorial Weekend!
CoolManMike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote