View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 07:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Trial implant

Hi Phil, good luck with the implant. There is a bloke on NT called Mark56, take some time to read his recommendations following your implant. He has coined it BLAST.
B No Bending
L No lifting
A it's an acronym and he had nothing for it, I included for myself ASK for help
S No stretching
T No twisting the body to put on seat belts
Truly the trial implant caused me no discomfort, more it was the frustration of the dang leads catching on things and the removal of the leads also caused no pain or discomfort at all.

Here are some extra suggestions to help you with the trial period to make sure you get the most out of it and also for when you have the actual implant done.

Post surgery
1. Follow Mark56 BLaST really limit bending, lifting, straining, stretching or reaching out and twisting - that includes being careful after number twos...
2. Have a stock of pre cooked or ready made meals in the freezer.
3. Don't stack or unpack the dishwasher, hand wash dishes as you go.
4. Move milk from bottom fridge door to higher point so as to not reach down.
5. Get someone else to clean house, load and unload washing machine, hang washing or put in clothes dryer and fold up on removal, strip beds and remake etc etc.
6. Have a friend or family member wash your hair if you need it washing, don't be tempted to do it yourself as you shouldn't be lifting your arms above shoulder height.
7. Remove anything like rugs or mats on the floor that could cause you to trip.

Once you have the implant done if trial successful, all of the above plus;

A. For the next 8 weeks every time you move imagine you are walking on ice and you want to take all precaution not to slip or fall. It will make you move slower and with emphasis on being careful.
B. Mark off on your calendar when you can begin to do things so you are not tempted to throw bales of hay, prepare celebratory meals, drive long distances, do the weekly shopping or get carried away with exercise.
C. Establish a routine to charge your battery and remember just because you feel good and look good doesn't mean it's all healed up inside....
D. Most of all, take your time and enjoy the recovery and journey back to living a full life.

All us SCS dudes and dudettes are here for you post surgery. Good luck and we will be thinking of you. :
PamelaJune is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (05-26-2014), Hannabananna (05-24-2014), Rimbanda (05-24-2014), Rrae (05-27-2014)