View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolManMike View Post
Now, I believe I understand that, as a society and the medical industry, we have compartmentalized many of these conditions and have sought after compartmentalized methods in order to treat this symptom or that. Being as the problem may have completely originated else where in the body causing for symptoms to appear in different ways in different people depending upon their individualized genetics.
True, but the end result is a brain with faulty signals and a dysregulation of the dopamine receptors (amongst other things).

Sometimes, especially when there are more conditions present at the same time as tics, then it is necessary to compartmentalize.

Some people have many conditions at the same time. Asperger's Syndrome, Tourette's Syndrome or a Tic Disorder, OCD, ADHD, Depression, Anxiety etc.. They may also have asthma, migraines or allergies etc.. Then again they may not.

Effectively treating a comorbid condition that is impacting daily life (whether that be by more natural methods, or CBT or pharmaceuticals or meditation or yoga, or whatever), can lead to a reduction in tics.

It's a bit like 20 years ago when Tourette's Syndrome was seen by many doctors where we live as an umbrella diagnosis for a myriad of other conditions. (btw not everyone who has been diagnosed with TS has a comorbid condition). That was totally wrong and harmful as far as I'm concerned. TS involves tics by definition although there's that old blur between the obsessive compulsive behaviours and the tics of course.

Neuropsychiatry
Challenging Phenomenology in Tourette Syndrome and
Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder: The Benefits of Reductionism

Anton Scamvougeras, MBChB, FRCPC
Clinical Associate Professor, Adult Tourette Syndrome Clinic, Neuropsychiatry Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolManMike View Post
Looking at it this way, Tourette's along with many other 'conditions' could merely be symptoms of a larger problem that we are facing. So, instead of treating the tics, why not look at treating the whole body beginning with our environment and diet. Things around us or what we put in us could simply be the triggers that we need to eliminate to fix the underlying cause of all the symptoms that we may be experiencing.
People have been doing that for years.
Again, it's complex.

e.g. say you find that swimming in a chlorinated pool for some reason exacerbates your tics... what do you do? You stop swimming?
What do you do if your tics act up when driving in the car? Do you stop driving the car?
What do you do if you find non-organic vegetables seem to make your tics worse? Do you spend more money which you probably need for something else, or you grow your own and then you still don't know what's already in the soil where you're planting your vegies.

It's the same for young children who don't have too much control over their tics in the classroom and just going to school feels as if it's like going into a war zone. Instead of staying away from the actual school setting, often all it needs is a knowledgeable and caring teacher who can adjust to the needs of the child thereby making the classroom a safe and secure environment in which to learn AND tic freely!

Don't get me started. I can perserverate about all these things till the end of time, but I don't suggest anyone else do that. Life is too short.

The world is a very hazardous place lol

Every person may find that something different triggers their tics. If you can get to the bottom of what is exacerbating your own tics, then that would be really good.

I do not believe that there is ONE thing that causes tics. I personally believe that TS is a name for a condition that will turn out in the end to have dozens of different causes. More probably.

The answer lies in finding what triggers or exacerbates your tics.

Chemar gave you some info. in the New Members area that might be helpful for you on your journey.

Last edited by Lara; 05-24-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chemar (05-25-2014)