View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 02:24 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Electronic toothbrush with small head

Hi Perrym, I don't have MG but did read your post. I wonder have you thought to try a small headed electric toothbrush? The very small head doesn't overwhelm your mouth and I notice I use far less paste than when using a normal brush. I squeeze a smidge onto the brush and using the electronic one I have found that my mouth produces more saliva than when using a normal brush and I can dribble most of it that out while using the brush over the basin. I rinse with a small glass of water and spit/dribble that way.

Please excuse my ignorance of your condition. I googled toothpastes and noticed some say you should avoid fluoride and others that said not to avoid it. Also noticed one said not to use 3/4 cup of baking soda while others said bi carb soda in small amounts is ok. Arm and Hammer sensitive toothpaste has a small amount of both these ingredients but is gentle on the mouth and does contain less fluoride than other brands. I see one also says you can use Toms of Maine toothpaste but please be aware Toms does contain other ingredients that may be equally as troublesome as fluoride?

Another solution is to chew and eat a mint leaf and then use the electronic toothbrush without any paste at all. The brush movement will stimulate saliva production and the mint which you will have swallowed will freshen your breath and the toothbrush will still leave your mouth feeling clean. Anyway, if spitting is the main problem, the electric toothbrush will stimulate and you can dribble away over the basin, rinse with water and what doesn't get spat out will be ok.

Hope to not offend you by not knowing of your condition much and just a thought to try an electric brush. I hope you can feel as well as you can and enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrym View Post
In searching the internet I have found some saying that fluoride can exasperate MG. In the morning when I am usually at my best when I brush my teeth I have a hard time spitting. Sometime I can't at all. Though I've never looked for a toothpaste without fluoride I wouldn't think it would be that hard.
Has anyone else experienced this?
PamelaJune is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote