View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This has been an interesting, challenging, creative month with many changes. I am honored to be a member of the People with Parkinson's Advisory Council PPAC for the PDF. We spent nearly three days together in NYC, meeting new members who bring a wonderful array of skills and insights to share with those who are interested in hearing from PD patients. It is interesting to me to note how much emphasis is now placed on e exercise as therapy, obviously one of my key concerns. We joined the Unity Walk in Central Park where I happily met several people from this forum and hopefully helped some of the people who came to the PDF booth.

From NYC we went to Baltimore for a two day research study at Johns Hopkins looking for biomarkers and cognition indicators, culminating in spinal taps for both me and my husband (he is a control in the five year study). On to DC and NIH for two more days of cognition testing, 3T and 7T MRIs and blood samples. I know some of the parts of the cognition tests by heart by this time. I think I'm in or have been in 13 studies now.

On to Gettysburg for three days on the battlefield led by Civil War historian, James McPherson, a gift after many days for PD. Walking the field across Pickett's charge was the most powerful experience.

Through all of this I was not able to ride a bicycle except for one time at a hotel, which was hardly adequate for my needs. I could hardly wait to get home to get back on the bike.

After we got home we left again for another week on the West Coast of Vancouver Island in Canada. Biking was replaced by kayaking and hiking in indescribably beautiful areas. Again, however, as soon as I got home I was on the bike.

At the same time as all of this was happening, I decided to start taking Sinemet after avoiding it for 6 1/2 years. I started on two pills a day, keeping my 6 mg Neupro. That worked pretty well but there was some definitely off time in the afternoon. My doctor recommended three times a day with the Sinemet, so yesterday I started on that. I also switched from Neupro to Requip XL 6 mg. I am so hopeful that the Requip works as it is much cheaper and more comfortable than the Neupro patch. So far so good on day one. For most of the day it felt like I did not even have Parkinson's. I was even able to type most of this message, although now I'm using a headphone to dictate.

I have finished writing a book on all of these experiences, tentatively titled "if I can climb Mount Kilimanjaro, why can't I brush my teeth?" Now I'm looking for a literary agent, so if anyone has a clue or connection, please feel encouraged to share it with me.

The Pedaling for Parkinson's program continues to expand to other states and other sites within our state of Washington. I am most pleased with its progress and with the changes that it is making the lives of so many people.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Betsy859 (05-30-2014), lab rat (05-27-2014), pegleg (06-15-2014), shcg (05-27-2014), soccertese (05-27-2014), Stand Tall (05-29-2014)