View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in LA View Post
I am very noise sensitive. Since I have to move back to Virgina on Saturday so my mother can care for me in her home, I have to deal with the noise of being in airports and on an airplane. I have the Bose Noise-Cancelling earphones, but they only lessen the sounds, not completely block them out. We also ordered a battery operated white noise machine that I can use. I thought of taking a bed pillow to wrap around my ears on the plane.

What am I forgetting? Does anyone have any strategies for blocking noise in public places?
Early on in my recovery I was VERY sensitive to noise as well.

I think you will have some trouble blocking out ALL sound in the world.

I had a lot of trouble "masking" sound when I was so sensitive. All it ended up doing was adding to the cacophony I was already bombarded with which made it worse... your experience may be different, of course.

I recommend using foam earplugs and/or the wax kind. You can buy both at a local pharmacy and they are cheap. I've found that these two kinds of earplugs tend to drown out the most sound. (p.s. I work with audio/sound professionally and have for many years, for what it's worth here).

You should also consider going to your Dr. and getting a note for your traveling and contacting TSA in advance to discuss any special needs you may have since traveling is probably going to be an arduous experience for you.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Joe in LA (05-27-2014), poetrymom (05-27-2014)