View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Help

Diagnosis: Algorithmatosis.

Hi, Becca. I am, of course, being silly. But there's nothing silly about doctors being stupid.

There is one thing it could be, which is a tumor of your thymus gland. Did they do a chest CT? I'm guessing they didn't. Some people who have a tumor removed have antibodies go away. NO, I'm not saying that you have a tumor!!! Some people with MG have a thymoma, however.

I'm saying that you probably have MG, and the idiot doctors are following an algorithm that doesn't hold water. Quite a few people with MG have a negative SFEMG. The test is fraught with problems.

MG is a clinical diagnosis backed up with tests. A negative test doesn't prove anything. A positive clinical diagnosis, which I assume that you had given your symptoms, and a positive AChR antibody test would mean that you DO have MG.

Might I ask, where do you live? We might be able to refer you to an MG expert who won't be so stupid.

I'm concerned about your weakness, because you said it's profound. If you are at a point where you can't move well, can't breathe, can't swallow, or are simply unable to function due to the weakness, it's time to dial 911. MG can be dangerous, and you can have a myasthenic crisis. Weakness can become much worse and rather quickly.

Do not get overheated, because it can tank MG very fast.

To ignore the probable diagnosis of MG is not only dangerous, but unethical. Heck, it's downright malpractice (but don't repeat that or doctors get all "testy" and take it out on you).

If you are short of breath, you can see a pulmonologist for breathing tests to see if you have fatigability of your breathing muscles.

You can see a neuro-ophthalmologist to assess if you have ptosis and if the cause is MG. Do you have droopy eyelids (ptosis)?

If you're strong enough, you can gather this evidence and/or seek out a second opinion from an MG expert. But don't do all of that in lieu of going to an ER if you need to!

In the meantime, don't overdo things. And realize that weakness can come on so slowly that you don't know how severe it is.

What are you doing for the hives? You should have gone to the ER immediately. You don't know how badly a reaction will get or how quickly. Did you take Benadryl? You need to get some help. Be aware that some of the antihistamine drugs can make MG relatively worse. You really should be at the hospital!!!

And don't assume that you could only have one thing going on. You might have more than one disease state, unfortunately.

I'm really sorry you're going through all of this. You are not getting the help that you need. A positive antibody test is HIGHLY indicative of MG. Period. Let us know what else we can do for you!

Annie

Last edited by AnnieB3; 05-27-2014 at 02:22 PM.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Heat Intolerant (05-29-2014), juliejayne (05-28-2014), pingpongman (05-27-2014), sandy56 (05-27-2014), southblues (05-28-2014)