View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Default 10 dogs most often blacklisted by insurers

• Pit bulls and Staffordshire terriers
  • Doberman pinschers
  • Rottweilers
  • Chow chows
  • Great Danes
  • Perro de Presa Canario
  • Akitas
  • Alaskan malamutes
  • German shepherds
  • Siberian huskies
  • Wolf hybrids (wolf dogs)
There are
as well.

Some of these breeds surprised me, and one I had not heard of before this, which got me to wondering about the hows & whys. In seeking some answers I found this related article from the same site:

Quote:
"Insurance companies go by the average number of bites reported for a certain breed," explains Ashley Hunter, owner and president of HM Risk Group, an insurance and risk management brokerage in Austin, Texas.
The Presa Canario -- a breed few people had heard of in 2001 -- is now said to be sought by people wanting a "killer dog."
the insurance industry says dog bites are a problem. They accounted for more than one-third of all homeowners insurance liability claims paid out in 2012, totaling about $490 million, according to the Insurance Information Institute and State Farm. The average claim cost close to $30,000.
Insurance carriers differ on the breeds they deem aggressive, and some go by the breeds in your state which have bitten the most.
You usually can find a homeowners insurance company that doesn't discriminate by dog breed and will insure you, says Hunter.
This is a perennial topic among trainers & veterinarians in our circle. Dogs, like people, are individuals—every one being different—and while there are some very sweet individuals in some of these "aggressive" breeds, the fact is that those breeds were developed over many generations precisely for that aggression.

Nevertheless, trainers and vets alike agree that the fault for most canine aggression lies with the owner rather than the breed.

They also agree that while the vast majority of dogs are (potentially, anyway) "good" dogs, there is a small percentage (<1%) that can/may just have "bad wiring".

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Living_Dazed (05-28-2014)