View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I couldn't drive at all for about a year. Then in the second year post-accident, I drove very little.

My car was totaled in the accident that caused the concussion, so I had to buy a new car. I bought a LARGE SUV.

I still don't drive that much, but I'm able to do more while I'm at home, so I don't get as bored as I did during that first year. That was brutal.

I still have a penchant to "overdo" it, and when I do I render myself unable to do much and I languish until my body/brain have rested and recovered enough to be able to do something again. (This includes thinking unfortunately).

I have a rich inner life, so if I'm able to think I can mostly entertain myself... but if my thinking becomes arduous or hindered because I'm overly fatigued then I get VERY bored.

And it's almost been 4 years since the accident I was in!

I was able to drive for about 30 min on Saturday and Sunday, both ways, by myself! For the first time since the accident. I used to take long road trips by myself before the accident; I would LOVE to be able to do that again someday...

The HRT I'm receiving is helping me to be able to function more and more as time continues.

I feel for you guys stuck at home all day long, I know how awful it can be.

The following are some activities I've used to keep myself occupied, but everyone's tolerance will vary:

-coloring (I discovered that there are adult coloring books that are fun)

-jigsaw puzzles

-sewing (simple kits available online)

-iPad (slow-paced and relaxing games, books, magazines, internet, email)

-Texting Friends

-reading

-crosswords

-word search

-cognitive therapy books (designed for tbi survivors)

-meditation

-chair exercise
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (05-28-2014), Living_Dazed (05-28-2014), MiaVita2012 (06-10-2014)