View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 11:05 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Metabolic Encephalopathy and Keto-Adaptation

Okay, so I've been doing a little more reading on this subject and having come to the conclusion that Tourette's is in fact an auto-immune condition since it is classified as neurological encephalopathy. This means that the immune system, in its war against any kind of foreign invader wreaks havoc on the integrity of the healthy brain cells. This could be caused by allergies, toxicities, leaky gut, anti-biotics, carb intolerance (which is what I am going to focus on), etc.

Now, considering the diet of the typical American, or that of any first world person, they may consume an upwards of 150 lbs of sugar per year whereas just 100 years ago it was 5 lbs of sugar per year. This drastic increase of processed carb intake has an unlimited consequence. It has caused an increase of diabetes, insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome (or syndrome X), gut dysbiosis (which leads to overgrowth of bad gut bacteria and leaky gut), auto-immune diseases and ultimately the big killers like cancer and heart disease.

So what I've planned to do is give the Ketogenic Diet a shot. I've read fascinating information about the medical applications of being in a prolonged state of ketosis. It can be used to manage epilepsy, autism, depression, tourettes, alzheimers, dementia, leaky gut and many other potential diseases.

As I have mentioned before, I have been suffering from depression since I was 17, but was diagnosed with tourette's when I was 7. Up to the 3-4 years leading up to falling into my personal great depression, I suffered from horrible acne (which was my immune system doing its job at trying to kick out as many toxins out of my body that it could). It was about 6-8 months prior to my depression that my acne literally began to completely clear up. This would seem like a good thing but now looking back at it, this was a tall-tale sign that my immune system had finally gave up and broke down to the point that it could not rid my body of all the toxins that I was subjecting it to. Unfortunately, I was only a naive teenager and continued about my soda pop drinking fast foodie habits and wreaked total havoc on my body which eventually lead up to a horrible case of insulin sensitivity that created a toxic environment, not only in my body, but also in my brain (also known as type 3 diabetes) and what ensued would be the decline of the cognitive function of my brain.

This is known as metabolic encephalopathy (or dementia) and can simply be put into remission, if not completely reversed, by applying the methods set forth by few doctors of the past through a ketogenic diet. This means drastically cutting out not only all processed carbs but minimizing all carb intake to less than 50 grams per day. My goal is to actually shoot below 25 grams of carbs per day since I've suffered this for nearly 10 years now and had only been getting worse.

So, you may be asking, if this might in fact hold any weight? Well, I'm personally going to find out and I'm actually on day number 2 of my attempt to become fully keto-adapted. Yesterday I ate 0 carbs and today it has ended up to around 10 grams of carbs and to be honest, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone but only because my body is in the middle of switching over from burning carbs for energy to burning fat. This process of switching over completely may take anywhere from 2-3 weeks if not longer, depending on your individual genes. Suffice it to say, in the last couple days, I have literally only experienced about 10% of the tics that I would normally experience throughout any typical day. Even at this very moment, as with any other, I am literally focused on my usual tics and have not the slightest urge to acting upon them. Usually, if I think about any of my tics, I have the strongest urge to act upon them and even though I've gain somewhat control over the course of my lifetime, I still can't make that urge go away unless I do act upon them. So, just this right here, in this moment is phenomenal!

Now, I'm not saying that this is a full-proof method of alleviating any or all causes of tourettes, but it sure might help many others out there looking for some 'relief' from their symptoms. Also, let's not forget about the many other applications that this might help with like for example my depression. I feel as though, just in these last couple days, that a veil is being lifted from my mind, so to speak, and my thoughts and my mind are becoming clearer. It really is amazing stuff, considering this is just day # 2. I, personally, cannot wait to become fully keto-adapted because I am more than anxious to see, feel and experience the results of it.

I will keep you guys up to date throughout the next few weeks and hope to encourage others to try it so that we may compare results and see where this may take us.
CoolManMike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote