View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi glatus,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some information here. I will re post some of your post and answer you in bold type.

<<6 days ago I had an upper molar extracted due to a nasty abscess that had formed at the root, the tooth was broken & was re-built about 5 years ago but since then an infection had gotten in & got pretty set in there, it could be felt as a pea sized lump in my gum above my tooth with a fistula poking through.>>

WAS THIS TOOTH ROOT CANALED? IF SO HOW MANY TIMES WAS IT RE TREATED? DID IT HAVE AN APICOECTOMY SURGERY?

<< Anyway, after a lengthly extraction (not pleasant!) the wound seems to be settling down and healing well, however, I have finished the prescribed course of antibiotics (amoxicillin) and the abscess still seems to be there just as big but even more sore from all the poking around.>>

SOME EXTRACTIONS CAN BE DIFFICULT AS THE TOOTH AND BONE BECOMES VERY FRAGILE FROM INFECTION. ONCE COURSE OF ANTIBIOTICS MAY NOT BE SUFFICIENT. DID AN ORAL SURGEON OR A GENERAL DENTIST PERFORM THE EXTRACTION? WAS BONE GRAFTING PLACED AFTER THE TOOTH WAS REMOVED?

<<My dentist said that it would just "drain away by itself" but almost a week in it hasn't improved at all & I can feel it still there even more prominent than ever.>>

INFECTIONS IN THE JAW BONE DO NOT "DRAIN AWAY BY THEMSELVES". THEY PROLIFERATE IF NOT TREATED PROPERLY. IF THIS HAS BEEN A LONG STANDING INFECTION, AND IT SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS BEEN FROM YOUR DESCRIPTION, THEN THE BACTERIA HAD MIGRATED BEYOND THE TOOTH AND MAY STILL BE PRESENT IF THE BONE WAS NOT DEBRIDED THOROUGHLY AFTER THE TOOTH WAS REMOVED.

<<I guess my question is, how long does it normally take for an abscess to go away after the offending tooth has been removed? and when should I be going back to my dentist to get him to have another look at it?>>

AN ABSCESS DOES NOT GO AWAY ON IT'S OWN. IT NEEDS TO BE TREATED WITH A COMBINATION OF THINGS....
1) ENTIRE REMOVAL OF THE SOURCE OF THE INFECTION
2) REMOVAL OF ALL NECROTIC TISSUE AND BONE THAT CAN BE CLINICALLY AND RADIO-GRAPHICALLY SEEN AND FELT WITH AN INSTRUMENT
3) PROPER ADMINISTRATION AND DURATION OF AN APPROPRIATE ANTIBIOTIC
4) THE SITE SHOULD BE CHECKED WITHIN 7-10 DAYS POST OP THE EXTRACTION.

A word of caution here.... if your general dentist removed this tooth and he is not extensively trained or experienced in removal of badly infected teeth, then it would be wise to obtain your x-rays and consult with an oral surgeon before allowing this to go on any further.

<<Apologies for rambling & Thanks for your patience!>>
THIS IS NOT RAMBLING.... HAVE YOU READ SOME OF THE PREVIOUS POSTS FROM OTHERS?? ONLY KIDDING FEEL FREE TO RAMBLE HERE.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote