Thread: Progress
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 04:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Progress

Hey Gang,

It's been awhile since I've checked in. I wanted to touch base and let you know where I'm at.

I'm *extremely* happy to say that I've made considerable progress. While the pain certainly is still around, I'm doing leaps-and-bounds better. I'm also back to doing a lot of the things I stopped doing due to the pain.

I want to share my approach with you as to help each of you in your individual battles.

1. I think the single, biggest thing that has helped has been changes in my attitude / mental state. I stopped identifying the disease as the crippling, horrible thing that it *can* be. I stopped the negative thought processes and I stopped recognizing my limitations -- instead, I started to recognize what I still *can* do. I started instead focusing my energy on identifying the strengths in my character and life that remain. I know it sounds stupid, but I literally tell myself about once an hour the qualities that I like about myself. I look in the mirror and tell myself that I'm handsome, smart, charming and that I'm going to do great things in life, regardless of whether it involves pain or not! Also, if I walk long distances or do something that takes a lot of effort, instead of recognizing the pain and the fact that I used to be able to do it effortlessly, I focus on the accomplishment. I tell myself how awesome it is that I'm still doing ______, even with the pain. Recognize your successes and your brain will in turn focus less on the pain, thus reducing pain levels. I really and truly believe this.

2. Do things to help relieve / improve the pain. Take lots of baths, use calming lotions, rest more, work less, etc. Don't force yourself to be in pain, accept your new state and instead take more time to focus on yourself and making yourself feel better. This helps your brain deactivate the pain pathways that are constantly firing otherwise.

3. Exercise, exercise, exercise! While it involves pain, I find that exercise helps immensely. I now go to the gym while at lunch on my work-break. I had to explain to my boss that I'd be taking an hour and a half each day for a break, but he was totally understanding and it's helped SO much. I go do a light workout for 50 minutes, shower and then grab a bite to eat. The mid-day "pain cleanse" as I like to call it really helps me make it through the day.'

4. Stop avoiding things. If you want to do something, do it. For instance, I used to play TONS of soccer. It's one of my favorite things. Sure, it involves considerable pain now -- but I recently rejoined my soccer team and started playing again. I'm not nearly as good anymore, I have to stop playing sometimes due to the pain -- but just being out there and doing it has helped me realize that this disease can't stop me! I'm going to do what I want, and recognize limitations when I have to -- but it won't stop me from doing the things I want to do!

All in all I think the beneficial changes are more mental than anything else. I'm still in pain on a regular basis, but I'm focusing less on the pain and the limitations it inflicts. I'm therein trying to get my body to "forget" about the pain and stop viewing it as a noxious stimuli. I'm trying to change my brain from identifying the pain as, well, pain and instead disregard it as some simple miss-messaging that I don't need to worry about.

I hope this helps someone. Much love, peace and pain-free wishes to everyone.

Love.
Toe

Last edited by toepain2013; 05-30-2014 at 12:01 PM.
toepain2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZ-Di (06-03-2014), birchlake (06-02-2014), eevo61 (05-30-2014), Lottie (06-02-2014), Phaedra (05-29-2014), Russell (06-03-2014), shelbie4u (06-04-2014), Vrae (05-29-2014), zookester (05-29-2014)