View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member

Thanks for responding Bryanna

It's been a while since I've been on here.

You are correct in the fact that the oral surgeon didn't intend to put screws through my teeth (and it turns out 3 of them have screws in them.). My jaw was fractured in several different ways, and the plates and screws needed to be placed where they were. And there is the fact that I have extraordinarily long roots (which is probably why none of my teeth were knocked out.). I was told that just because it looked like the screws were in the tooth on an X-ray it didn't necessarily mean they were and that a CBCT would determine if they actually were. I definitely have damage to the nerve and still have no feeling in the gums on the lower right side of my jaw.

Since I wrote the last post, I went and saw the endodontist. He did a CT and discovered I had external root resorption on 25 and 26 and had screws in 3 different teeth. He also discovered my jaw did not heal back together in that area either. He started root canals on 25 and 26 and put in 'disinfectant' (which my dentist later told me was a nice way of putting it. I'm still not quite sure what it is other than it kills healthy and unhealthy cells). He then did a root canal on 28, which had a screw in it partially that he was able to root canal around.

I came back a month later and another CT was done that showed I had internal root resorption in #24. He started the root canal on that tooth and 'disinfectant' was put in it as well. I'm supposed to return in a month to determine if that has improved.

I'm having pain in # 29 (it has a screw directly in it), but the endodontist, oral surgeon and my dentist are all hesitant to do anything with it at the present time. Thankfully they are all working together and communicating. The oral surgeon thinks it might be necessary to take the screws out, but doesn't want to touch me at the moment. The endodontist is leaning towards that as well, and also agrees waiting is a good decision.

At this point I'm ready for this all to be over, but I have a feeling this is just the beginning of my dental problems. Do you think it likely I will keep any of these teeth? I think you're right about the trauma to the bone and especially now that we know my jaw hasn't healed. I told all three of them straight up to do what they needed to do. I'm alive; that's all that matters, so I really don't mind if those teeth all need to come out.

Thank you for all of your help.
Casey707 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote