Thread: More allergies
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Antihistamines for Steve

As far as what you can take, I'd say, first, if you haven't tried any of the newer antihistamines... do try them. These are less likely to cause sedation or to cause cumulative effects with your meds. Failing that, there are a couple of the older ones you could try. You have options.

Here are my suggestions in order of preference:

1. Zyrtec (cetirizine). Used for allergic rhinitis and asthma. Side effects unlikely, relatively interaction-free, once-daily dosing. A lot of people do well with this. Some studies show it yields better responses than other second-generation antihistamines.

2. Allegra (fexofenadine). Side-effects unlikely. Has an interaction with grapefruit juice and some meds but should not affect other meds.

3. Benadryl (diphenhydramine). This is a very effective first generation antihistamine and can treat moderate to severe reactions. Although it is a different chemical class than chlorpheniramine, it too has SSRI-like activity, and it can produce paradoxical agiation. However, it is a more potent anticholinergic, and most find it to be sedating.

------------------------

The first two choices are the newer (second-generation) antihistamines. These have the best side-effect profile, but you should always check with the pharmacist about adding anything to your med regimen.

The drugs I listed are from distinct drug classes. If a drug fails, the best strategy is to try one from a different class. However, sometimes, a different drug in the same class does work. There are many more second-generation antihistamines that you can try.

Benadryl is kind of like a catch-all. There is even one past that, but you'd have to talk to the doc about it, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really desperate so I haven't listed it.

waves
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (05-30-2014), Brokenfriend (05-31-2014), Dmom3005 (05-30-2014), Mari (05-30-2014), mymorgy (05-30-2014)