View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 09:49 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default no clinical diagnosis, IgG immunodeficiency, rejected by neuromuscular docs

Thank you for answering me, Annie.
I live in Durham, NC and my SFEMG test was performed by Dr. Vern Juel and ordered by Dr. Justin Mhoon. Dr. Juel took a long time with the SFEMG and tested my arm and my eye. Dr. Mhoon says that I do not have a clinical diagnosis and that I definitely don't have MG.

I do not have a droopy eye.

I am able to breathe, and my swallowing difficulties make me choke several times a day, but I can still eat and speak fine. I say profound weakness, but maybe, compared to some, it's not that profound. I can still squeeze the doctor's hands and lift my knees with power. This morning I made my toddlers breakfast, and now my arms feel like lead and I'm stuck in bed trying to type. I am still able to go to church, but by the time the sermon starts I have trouble keeping my head upright on my neck. I have trouble keeping the brake pedal pushed down when I'm waiting at a stop light, so I'm avoiding driving. I guess I'd revise profound to marked weakness.

This past week I got some blood test results which show subclass IgG immunodeficiency in classes 2 and 4. I have had repeated infections (strep, UTI) in the last several weeks. I read that thymoma can cause this as well (Good's syndrome - not good).

When I get the infections, the antibiotics seems to crush my strength. I am allergic to amoxicillin and sulpha, and the only ones left are supposed to be very bad with MG, involving the neuromuscular junction. Unfortunately, there seem to be no options, and considering my immunity issues, there could be need for more.

I did have a chest CT though, and they noted nothing in the mediastinal space. That was before any AChR antibodies when they were trying to clear my lungs. I looked at the CT myself and think I see a thymoma (history major here!). I am asking them to review it.

My hives were treated with a six day pack of methylprednisolone. The hives broke through for the first few days, but now I am a couple of days out and no hives. Thank God! Also, my muscle weakness really improved while on the steroids. I suppose steroids make everyone feel better, but I can't help but think that they shut down my immune system for a bit which I feel like is poisoning me.

I feel lonely, and it's hard to find people who track with even what the neuromuscular junction is. Thank you for answering me!
becca7nc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (05-31-2014), pingpongman (05-31-2014)