View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

From my side of the fence it matters not if this film was made in Canada or the United States or elsewhere for that matter. It was a combined effort and the actors are a mix of both contries as are all of us who bear the designated name of first nations.

While the story cold have been made in the Black Hills or Saskatchewan for that matter, as sitting Bull lived in many places, it is not of importance.

The story is based on a time frame that has to be altered to fit the story and in some cases the story to fit the time frame. Things do get altered or eliminated altogether and sometimes it doesn't work to the advantage of one side or another.

But it was made and it did get shown and that is to be noticed. We are in Canada many many different and differing tribes and not any one of are as huge as some in the USA. But the film was made here and that says a lot to me.

To recognize that the first nations people are not saints or sinners or princesses and tallchiefs is good. The kids of today need to find in themselves a comon factor that is based on their lives as they are today and not 100 years ago. A life then that is a fiction of the actual reality of those years.

The kids are not stupid and they see where the challenges lie to their nations and to keep up this talk of genocide only tells them that it is hopeless and they are of no value as the world is against them.

No one person of today should take on the past history and run with it. We don't know the facts and I dont thik we ever will. We only have a few written words to go by and the rest is another story told by people who had the need to appear as heroes to their countymen.

But the past is past and the only good is from proof of land claims settlements such as going on here now in Canada to be proven. the individual happenings are long gone from the site of our sisters and brothers lives and now only related through the words of another which are tainted.

Adam Leach is one of the best actors around nowdays and could be anything he wants to be but he wants to take time off and become chief of his tribe in Manitoba. He ran last year and lost because he had not lived there for years and the people didn't know enough about him nor he them. so he has studied and lived amongst them and will run again.

Now if this is a sample of the young people of today then tell your friend she has no worries of the future for us. Lift off that burden of guilt as it belongs to those who lived long ago and is not hers to bear.

There really are no heroes in any kind of war and to continue to fight in your mind and heart about those who fought in the past has taken it's tole on the people and helped us loose the spirit we needed to continue on.

But that time is past. Stories are being told now and while they may not be as accurate as we would like they definitely are not of the much ballyhood bull that Kevin Kostner made. That was a farce but this one is a serious attempt to find a market for the ones to follow and they will follow with more and more accuracy as this one showed.

There are no heroes only dead human beings made to resemble that which never existed. They were simple human beings with all the frailities of us all.

Thelma whos Father was Tyendinaga Mohawk Six Nations Deseronto Ontario Canada

ps

I think you were the one to put in a link to the Aboriginal Beauty pageant that showed one of the six nations girls as a runner up. i didn't like that as that lis one aspect of life that is demeaning and not one I hope to see much of. But hey that is me and this was my opinon and who knows I may be wrong.

just kidding lol lol lol lol

pps
I just saw your ending and that term reflects the past and not today so why use it. I don't think I am such a thing and her neither but who knows maybe my great great grandmother was as the creams from todays boutiques were not availabe to them and my skin even now is really dry. But no fats for me it's Este Lauder all the way lol
Thelma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote