View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 01:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default GDNF study in Bristol now recruiting

I agree. Maybe GDNF research being done by The Cure Parkinson's Trust in other countries will bear fruit.

GDNF study in Bristol now recruiting!

http://www.cureparkinsons.org.uk/New...now-recruiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo3 View Post
Thanks, I hadn't seen this paper. If you read it, you'll see that it supports everything I've said. The clinical trials to date have been at best inconclusive, and generally very disappointing. The suggestions of benefit the authors provide are all from naturally occurring GDNF (e.g. through increased exercise) or are animal, in-vitro, or epidemiological. There still is no conclusive evidence that administering GDNF into the brain, or body, will benefit PD patients.

Look, I'm not arguing against opening up GDNF, along with many other neurotrophic factors, to more research. There is no one around who wants to see that more than me. There is no one who hopes they will succeed in being neuroprotective more than me. In fact, I'm probably one of the few people on this board who is actually currently involved in a neurotrophic clinical study. And, if others open up, and I'm eligible to participate, I will.

What I am arguing against is taking theories, hypotheses and anecdotal reports and stating them as facts. Why don't we all fight for opening up more research on neurotrophic growth factors and then volunteer to participate in the research so we can move the science forward and find some answers, and maybe a cure, along the way.
zanpar321 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote