View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 06:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Hockey,

Were are your herniations? Cervical, thoracic, lumbar? More than one of those 3 areas? About 15 years ago, I was told that I needed surgery for my lumbar herniations. I declined surgery. Last September I was told I needed immediate surgery for thoracic problems and herniations. Again, I declined surgery. Time has helped. My MRI's now are better in some aspects, worse in other aspects, and my pain levels usually tolerable without needing oral pain medications. When having higher pain levels I use Lidoderm pain patches. My lumber herniation is much better but I have different problems now with my lumbar region. I am just waiting for my thoracic region to improve on its own.

To answer your question, can you just live with herniated discs? Some people can but it depends on the individual and the specifics. I would get a lot more information before I considered surgery if I were you. And several different opinions. The members that have already posted a response have said most of what can be said. I agree with Doc that surgery is advisable when limited to specific situations.

Wishing you the best. Hope you find the right decision for YOU and your specific situation. I have been fortunate that my hard head saved me from unnecessary surgery because the surgeries proposed it turns out would not have alleviated my pain. It turns out that my other spinal problems, not the herniations, are the cause of my back pains.

I may be singing a different tune in the future, but for now, I am not having back surgery.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dianepmt (06-02-2014), Dr. Smith (06-03-2014)