View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 AM
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member

Thanks Thelma.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't believe it's appropriate to expect Indians to forget the past. Why is it okay for some groups to say "never forget," but not American Indians?

I know they weren't all saints, but I'm not so sure I'd be saintly if someone tried to take over my land or harm my family. I've never been starved long enough to know if I'd ever attempt to steal food.

I can understand why they feel they are still under attack today. They are still fighting for their lives today in so many areas, and no one seems to care. The uranium issue I posted below alone is one of them. My friend and the tribes have been fighting this (uranium in drinking water) for over a decade. The cancer rates are through the roof with her people.

What type of response do they get? Yet another mining company, Powertech, has just been given approval to start mining for uranium in the Black Hills. They've already begun drilling, and plan to drill 155 exploratory wells. The runoff from this mining will go directly into the water source of the Lakota people there. Approval was granted before the Lakota had a chance to say anything. For them, it's no different than being handed a smallpox-infested blanket to keep them warm.

This is just one issue. There are so many more issues that people don't want to hear about. I can't blame the Indians for feeling the attempt at genocide still exists.

PS: I don't remember saying anything positive about beauty pageants. I'm not a fan of them.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote