View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo3 View Post
Zanpar, without trying to be combative at all, I would like to point out that this is a 14 year old study. It's the one that is quoted in most other research to date, and is listed right at the top of the summary report you previously posted. So yes, it was interesting back then, but it's old info, not new.

What I would like to see now is more research on several different growth factors, not just GDNF, particularly those that are in peptide form and can cross the BBB without having to be surgically implanted. That would also allow for study designs that don't have to be open label. I would also like to see advances in biomarker and imaging research so we can test more definitively if these drugs/procedures are actually working.
Of course all of us would like to see more research on GDNF. That doesn't change the results of the studies that have been done in the past that showed that GDNF showed is quite promising. The Cure Parkinson's Trust is presently doing a GDNF study in the UK as I posted earlier. It is amazing how the Amgen study was so successful (in the eyes of the patients) yet it is viewed by many as a failure and was terminated prematurely. What happened there? Why are so many of us PD patients so willing to wait patiently for Big Pharma to deliver a cure? Clearly, it's not in their best interests to ever do that!

http://redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=...us&bd=HP&c=134
zanpar321 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote