View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieK View Post
Hello
I am not sure what happens at the beginning acute phase of MP. My daughter age 24 has had MP for many many years but only diagnosed with MP 1 1/2 years ago. She also is very fit, not a diabetic, and we cannot pinpoint the cause. I hope you have the acute type that will resolve its self over time. Hers became chronic and she has had severe pain that nothing seems to help for 2 solid years now.
The neurologist put her on Neurontin, Lyrica, Tegretol,and lidocaine patches capsacian crème etc..... Since we started in the middle of MP and you seem to be a the start of MP I am not sure what advice to give. I just hated to not respond as it seems information on MP is so hard to find. I did find good some valuable posts on this site. Scour it and educate yourself on MP. The acute cases seem to resolve with time. Chronic MP is a whole different ball game. I think to be considered chronic it has to be a year or longer.

The immediate treatment for my daughter after diagnosis was meds, meds, meds, and more meds. She was so young to be a zombie on all this medication. No one locally has any answers for long term treatment.
I am sorry I didn't help much. Hope it resolves on its own.

Debbie K- Indiana
Hi guys,

It took 15 years to find my MP.. You have a good head start on me. The number one thing that works is lyrica. The zombie effect of lyrica is typically due to poor patient education. The miserable side effects are typical while you are ramping up to a therapeutic dose. You will think these people are crazy trying force me to take more, but once you get over the hump, these problems to away. Gaining weight is caused by lyrica increasing hunger pains, anxiety. If it is too bad try gabapentin.. Same family.

Next, and most important is lidocaine patches, but there is a catch. MP is light touch only. It is imperative to shave your leg, movement of the hair was a big part of my pain. That and light touch. So the glued on patch stopped things brushing my skin.. As well as shutting off the nerve signals with the lidocaine.

There is something newer out there called calimare treatment. It is like electro-stim but it copies good nerve signals from your other leg and puts it on your bad leg. This helps with the phantom pain of chronic MP.
rMuD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote