View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Joe, welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefcarle View Post
My new fear is what to replace it with since the Lyrica did help a lot in the burning of my feet.

This is nearly always my concern for people who discontinue pain medications of any kind (narcotic/opioid or otherwise) for any reason; what if the pain is still there—or returns—and how are they going to deal with it? Doctors' responses are often the same as they are for patients who are concerned about issues of side effects and/or dependence & tolerance to begin with—"Don't worry about it. We'll deal with that if/when it happens." Unfortunately, it nearly always does happen, and when (not "if") it does, those doctors are not the ones having to deal/suffer with it.

Joe, have you tried gabapentin, topiramate (both now generic), or any other meds in that class (anticonvulsants) that are similarly being used off-label for neuropathic pain?

The antioxidant supplement R-Lipoic Acid has been found to help alleviate this type of pain in some people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Though I am not diabetic, this supplement eliminates the burning pain in my feet entirely.

More supplements & medications that might help can be found in the Peripheral Neuropathy forum:

~~SUPPLEMENTS~~~ for Peripheral Neuropathy:

DRUGS (RX) ~~ Used for Treating Peripheral Neuropathy:

Best wishes,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
PamelaJune (06-05-2014)