Thread: Odd
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 05:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0gma View Post
There was also a young lady with Dystonia that could run or walk backward but not walk forward. There appears to be a huge occupied brain component to many movement disorders.

It seems distracting or fooling your brain could be a very big key. This akin to the stutterer stopping when he can no longer hear his own voice or stopping if words are sung. If tricking the body works we just need to capitalize on it.

this?
d0gma, I fully agree with you about the occupied brain component, as well as tricking the brain. I have dystonia in my left foot and it cramps rather quickly when walking. However, if I then turn and go backwards, the cramp goes away instantaneously. That's one way to tell the difference between normal muscle cramps due to dehydration, lack of blood circulation, etc., where the cramps last for awhile and ache even longer and dystonia. I just wish someone would have told that to my podiatrist as it would have saved me a lot of money in orthotics and special walking shoes which were worthless, along with foot X-rays, MRI and CAT scans which were all normal.
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GerryW (06-05-2014), lab rat (06-06-2014), soccertese (06-05-2014)