View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi MarkusTims,

Thanks for posting the xray.

You have a large infection in the jaw bone around that root canaled tooth. You could very well have a cyst there also. It's important that you understand that this infection is not limited to just the end of the tooth, it surrounds the tooth. That black area is bacteria and it has caused the bone to deteriorate. So when the tooth is removed you will have moderate to severe bone loss in that area. The longer you wait to remove it the more extensive the infection and bone loss will become. To re treat this tooth will not cure the infection. The only way to cure the infection is to remove the source, which is the tooth. The bone would need to be thoroughly debrided after the tooth was removed.

Only see an oral surgeon for the removal of this tooth as a general dentist is not likely going to clean out the bone as thoroughly as it should be.

You should speak to your general dentist about replacement options. Dental implants placed in bone that has been diseased for quite some time often fail. So your other options would be a removable partial denture or a permanent bridge that would include the adjacent teeth an acnhor teeth.

I hope you find this information helpful.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote