View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi usedtobe, good luck with your depo.

Junk gave great advice, especially #1. The longer you babble, the more likely you are to say something they can use against you. Answer, only... don't elaborate. If they need more info, they'll ask.

Here's a dirty little hint that worked for me (I fought work comp for 7 years, only ended up resolving it after I went ProPer and handled my own case.)

A few minutes into the depo, ask for a drink of water, state that you need to take meds. Have them right there, handy, so you don't have to get up to get them. Make sure you do this AFTER the depo has started, and the steno is busily typing away. Take them, and go on. Later, when reading the transcripts with your lawyer, the two of you will see what looks bad and what doesn't. If there is something you said that hurts your case, you can blame the meds you took for making you groggy, you weren't thinking straight. It's on the record that you TOLD them you were going to take the meds, you did it in front of them. They had no objection to it. The judge will then give much less credit to anything you said that didn't quite fit.

It also helps quite a bit if you make the opposing lawyer feel uncomfortable. Give him/her "looks", make sure they know you aren't even the slightest bit intimidated. (If you ARE, fake it!!) This isn't Perry Mason, and most lawyers are just reg guys/gals... they make plenty of mistakes, and they know it well. If they don't smell fear, they won't turn into animals.

There are only two types of people in this world... those who bring you peace and those who don't.
theoneRogue420 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote