View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbluis View Post
Does anyone have a Service Dog that helps you with your MS weaknesses?

I have a nearly 4-year-old Golden Retriever that we rescued as a 10-month-old puppy mill rescue in 2009 through Adopt A Golden Atlanta. They took in 31 puppies that day from the breeder. Yes, there are bad breeders out there.

Ragan had spent all of his puppy life in a wire cage that wsn't even tall enough for him to sit up completely. He was underweight but not emaceated. No toys. No treats. No loving hands. He'd never felt grass under his feet. Didn't even know what to do when he was faced with regular household stairs. At first he was startled by unseen noises like train whitles, an ice dispenser, car horns, sirens ... even the squeaky noises from dog toys.

After a month with AGA he had gained weight, had received proper dental care, was de-wormed, vaccinated, was almost house-broken, and he found out he loved people. What a forgiving little soul.

So my DH and I adopted and trained him. Not only in normal dog stuff like obedience and fun tricks, but to help me around the house. To not be afraid of my powerchair. Or of cats. Then, not to chase the cats.

Ragan has a "big brother" (not a rescue) Walker, who is a year older. He can do the same skills, but he says, "Why? Ragan will do it." And he's right.

I'd be curious to know if you have a pet who helps you.

MsBluIs
What beautiful dogs. Their capacity to adapt and forgive is so inspiring.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
msbluis (06-10-2014), SallyC (06-06-2014)