View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 05:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

There are open MRI machines that have no tube and are more like lying on a table to get an x-ray. You may also ask for some valium or explain that you are claustrophobic. I have back issues and have always been made comfortable (pillow under the legs is critical) if you have back pain. They put my head inside a cage like contraption that was open on all sides. I didn't feel it was confining or claustrophobic.

Every place I've been to get an MRI was very responsible in asking about my comfort, informing me how long each part of the test was, giving me a button to signal that I wanted out, etc. Call and ask about open MRI's if that makes you feel better. I never found it particularly loud or annoying and usually tend to fall asleep if I do relaxation breathing.

Nothing really happens other than some buzzing and knocks, the table may move a few inches. The test is done in stages ranging from a couple of minutes to 20-30 minutes. You can ask the tech to tell you before new tests start so you can stretch or reposition. You can ask to get out or have more blankets etc. They do try very hard to make things easy for you. Many places give you a choice of music and there is voice communication with the tech.

It doesn't hurt so there is nothing to fear. If there is contrast given then you may have an IV but that is a minor pain. All you have to do is be still. Good luck and don't worry. This is not a big deal to go through...you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraM View Post
I have had a few too......I agree with all them. It is not difficult, just tight space especially because I am heavy and very loud. I myself have a hard time laying on my back all that time. Mine took about 45 Minutes to an hour all in all, if I remember correctly. If you have had a cervical done on your neck, it will be very similar...lay on your back still and wait. nothing to it.
d0gma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sitke (06-06-2014)