View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 08:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanpar321 View Post
Does anyone know what ever happened to the research trials to deliver GDNF via the nose?
That research was being done by Dr. Barbara Waszczak, at Northeastern (and funded by MJFF). I believe she is still working on it with some of her grad students. I know she presented a paper on intranasal GDNF at a research seminar in Boston last year. They were having some difficulties because even though her method allowed for the GDNF to cross the BBB, they had to give repeated doses because the GDNF was breaking down quickly in the body. I think the presentation was on a new method where she was using brain cells to incorporate the GDNF into the actual genetic material and then delivered to the brain via a nanoparticle delivery system, which allowed for much more GDNF to pass the BBB. The research was all rodent studies. One interesting side note, which we have discussed previously on this board, was her belief that GDNF would only work in very early stage PD. She hypothesized that by the time major symptoms were present, GDNF would have little benefit, if any.
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lab rat (06-07-2014), moondaughter (06-08-2014), soccertese (06-06-2014), zanpar321 (06-06-2014)