View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bean View Post
Ask what you need to....happy someone is interested enough to grow favas and make tincture. I break them up..removing all but the tiniest leaves and removing the stem...using only the unopenned flower head that is still tightly formed and draws aphiods and ants, etc (must be pretty sweet stuff in comparison to the rest of the plant) I dehydrate the top for several hours/ then put them in a jar. Add just enought brandy to cover close tightly and shake well. Check in a few hours to see if you need to add more brandy..Sometimes the plant material absorbs alot. Each stem makes it's own TOP, some at only a couple of inches tall...I usually pick once a week after the first ones are harvested and new stems begin to grow. Shake this mixture daily (or up to 3 times a day) for at least 2 weeks

ROGER that!! I'm so glad I only harvested a few the first time as the stems and large leaves were included the last tincture batch. do you just spray the aphids off?? Do you ever use the opened flowers?? hope my plants continue to produce in the heat. How tiny is "the tiniest of leaves" as the "balls" on my plants include some leaves 1 and 1/2 inches...??
thanks so much for your counsel - sharilyn

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
~ Nikola Tesla

Last edited by moondaughter; 06-07-2014 at 01:50 PM.
moondaughter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote