View Single Post
Old 06-08-2014, 08:35 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=cbrf1wr;1074346]I'm seriously considering signing up and see if I qualify. I've done my research and there is very strong evidence DBS early in PD treatment leads to a longer better quality of life.

"Honestly how does zapping the brain with electricity stop the progression of PD. The answer is it does not or it would have already jumped glaringly out of the background. "

Dogma, statements like this are counter productive. This is what the study is trying to prove. In my opinion waiting till all medications become basically non-effective before getting DBS is a mistake. With all the studies being done for gene therapy and stem cell with basically complete failure so far DBS is looking better and better.
QUOTE]

Thanks cbrf1wr, you're spot on. Of course we don't know at this time if DBS is neuroprotective. That's the whole purpose of the study in the first place. The researchers have proposed a hypothesis, shown some proof of concept information, and are now going to test the theory. Isn't that the purpose of clinical research? It's not like there is no basis for the theory. DBS has been shown to be helpful to many PwP. Like you, I've also researched this and there is evidence that done early on, DBS improves quality of life. As I'm someone with early stage PD, I'm certainly happy that this study is going forward.

d0gma, not trying to be argumentative here at all, but just because you can't understand why DBS could stop progression doesn't mean that it can't be true. None of us know the answer. That's why they run the studies to try and find out.
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lab rat (06-08-2014), soccertese (06-08-2014)