View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 03:17 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default dealing with the shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyFresh View Post
I'm in therapy right now with ADHD. I think as adults you are not only dealing with the ADHD itself, but also all of the difficulties it has caused you over the years have built up and your self-esteem suffers from that. You learn to expect failure when you've always had trouble finishing anything or have constantly dealt with messing up.
Finding this group of people is my next step to dealing with my ADD. My doc and I struggled all year at finding the right med. dosage for me and I still don't think we've got it right. In fact, I'm pretty sure Ive been misdiagnosed. I am the text-book prototype for Executive Function Disorder- and there is no medication for that-just therapy. I struggle with maintaining relationships because I've been afraid for people to judge me. I have felt inadequate for not being able to organize my life. I try to hide that side of me from people and I am so embarrassed when people find out my little "secret." It makes it hard for me at work as well. Planning, organization, and deadlines are HELL for me. When I miss a deadline, or if someone needs a paper that I can't find, I just want to crawl into a corner.