View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
Hey everyone! I am new to the site but I have ADHD and I seem to be getting worse. I am more forgetful and sometimes my poor husband can ask me a question, a favor, or even be looking at me talking to me and I have no idea what he asked or said. He is getting super frustrated but he does not understand its not intentional. HELP!!
You are not alone. I've been with my hubby for 20 years, since I was 15 years old. As I've grown- up and have had to take on more responsibilities (4 babies, school, work), my add symptoms have gotten more pronounced. By the time I started grad school, I was afraid I would be picking pieces of my husband off of the floor.! He gets really frustrated and sometimes feels like he has to do EVERYTHING. It makes me feel bad too, like I'm incompetent or a burden. You will both have to make a concerted effort to accommodate for your special needs. Hubby will have to learn to write important stuff down, turn off the TV when he wants to talk to you, remind you to set your reminder alarm etc... You will have to do these things too. Set reminders in your phone when he asks you to complete a task, let him know best times to communicate with you, and let him know when you simply "can't right now". At the end of the day, it's all about training and understanding what works. Oh yes, you will need support yourself too. If you've got good friends that understand you, then you are already ahead of the game. It is easy to get down on yourself so having a support team that can lift you up and remind you that you don't suck helps wonders!