View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm doing significantly better than I was 3+ years ago. In the beginning, I second-guessed myself a great deal.

I don't really second guess myself anymore. I see this as a sign that I am improving. I didn't second guess myself too much before the accident I was in either... I do it even less now.

I have returned to being a confident individual about what I can and can not do. But I can do a lot less than I could before the accident I was in. I have had to re-learn what I can and can not do. I had to relearn it as an adult, when learning was more difficult for me due to cognitive impairments that I was trying to learn about. It has felt like a paradoxical process.

I remember second guessing myself a great deal and lacking confidence in my own analyzation skills after the accident because of the concussion. It's because my brain wasn't functioning well enough so I relied on others to help me gauge my reality.

It's a truly awful place for any adult to be in. It's an awful process for anyone to be in...

It's VERY difficult to learn how to be in the world suddenly with completely different abilities/skills, more specifically with severe cognitive impairments, after doing things one way through one's entire life beforehand! I'm sure you can all relate.

I do not believe that we are making mountains out of molehills. At least, I am not. Perhaps some people are... But I do believe that thinking about it this way is a compensatory strategy to help us to accept what has happened to us. I also think it may be difficult for people around us to hear about what we are dealing with on an ongoing basis, so perhaps thinking about it this way helps us to complain less frequently about it...

I think recovering from a tbi is an arduous process. It is the mountain.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
"Starr" (06-10-2014), Hockey (06-10-2014), Living_Dazed (06-10-2014), MiaVita2012 (06-11-2014), Mokey (06-13-2014), music-in-me (06-10-2014)