View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Neuralgia or something else?

About eight months ago I presented to the dentist with classic root infection pain - cold and pressure sensitivity, in tooth 18 (all wisdom teeth pulled approx two years ago). He decided to keep an eye on it. The tooth cracked and again there was crazy sensitivity. He couldn't see any sign on infection on x-ray so he crowned it. No problems with temporary crown but since he seated the permanent crown I have had pain. It's different from the original pain. It's more like a shooting pain and lots of irritation type pain - I have heard it described as spidery, which fits quite well.

All original sensitivity pains were no longer present so the dentist was still at a loss. Assuming it was probably infection he prescribed amoxycillin and told me that if that cleared the pain then obviously it is an infection and requires a root canal. The antibiotics did nothing - spoke with my doctor who prescribed augmentin. Still no relief. I also started visiting chiropractor because the pain was also causing a similar sensation at the back of my head when my skull meets my neck. It kind of feels as though someone has iced the area.

Dentist wanted to do root canal anyway since he couldn't figure out what else to do. I found a new dentist. New dentist found no evidence of infection so referred me to an endodentist. Endodentist also found no evidence of infection and suggested neuralgia. He gave me six days of steroids and ten days of muscle relaxants. For the most part this helped with the pain but less than 24 hours after finishing the last steroid, the spidery feeling is back (the shooting too, but not so bad) and it is worse than ever. It's in my jaw, cheek shoulder, ear, down my neck (all left side). I am going back to the endo tomorrow and he is going to look again.

Given this started within days of a root canal, I am still suspicious that this is so with to do with the tooth rather than just being neuralgia pain. Even though the pain doesn't seem to originate from tooth 18, but rather the jaw directly next to it, I am hopeful that really this is something to do with tooth 18, so I can pull it out and get on with my life. I'm so scared hat it is neuralgia because it is absolutely constant. The only relief I get is (strangely) when I am eating.

I have also contacted my PCP to see if I can get an MRI done of the area,to see if that can shed some light on what is happening although I'm sure I will be referred to a neurologist first.

Any thoughts.
Anyone experienced something similar?
TIA
Popple is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote